Strudel is best if you enjoy it fresh out of the oven served with chilled soy whipped cream or vegan vanilla ice cream. The combination of warm strudel and cold whipped cream or ice cream just can’t be beat. You can also find larger quantities of organic shelled pistachios, used in the pesto for this dish, fairly cheap on the internet.
Pear Strudel with Pistachio Pesto
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour (190 g)
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 4 pears
- 5 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- ½ cup melted vegetable margarine (120 g)
- 5 tablespoons raw cane sugar
- ½ cup dried cranberries or raisins (100 g)
- ½ cup pistachios (80 g)
- ½ cup almond slivers (70 g)
- 4½ tablespoons agave syrup (70 g)
- Powdered sugar
- Soy whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Combine the flour, vegetable oil, sea salt and ⅓ cup (75 mL) water into large mixing bowl.
- Knead into a smooth dough and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Peel and core the pears and slice into quarters.
- Cut the pear quarters into paper-thin (approx. 2 mm) slices.
- Fry the breadcrumbs in ¼ cup (50 g) melted margarine until golden brown.
- Mix the pears, breadcrumbs, raw cane sugar, dried cranberries, 3 tablespoons (30 g) of pistachios, and 3½ tablespoons (30 g) of almonds into mixing bowl.
- Roll the dough into a large rectangle (about 21.5 x 17.5 inches or 55 x 45 cm) so that it’s paper thin, and then place on a sheet of parchment paper.
- Spread the filling mixture out along the length of the dough so that it makes a strip that’s about 2 inches (5 cm) wide, leaving about 1 inch (3 cm) free on the edges.
- Generously cover the areas of dough that don’t have any filling with the rest of the melted margarine.
- Fold the edges of the dough in and carefully roll the whole thing into a large roll. If desired, coat the dough with the melted margarine again.
- Bake in a hot oven for 25 minutes.
- In the meantime, coarsely chop ⅓ cup (50 g) pistachios in a blender and mix with the agave syrup to make the pesto.
- Allow the pear strudel to cool, dust with powdered sugar, spread the pesto along the top, and serve with whipped cream.