I was blown away by how amazing this spread/dip turned out. The one modification that sealed the deal for me was using smoked almonds in the pesto. Best. Decision. Ever. Seriously, make this pesto before I buy all the smoked almonds myself. Although this probably won’t pass as a straight up goat cheese substitute, I doubt anyone will mind since they will be too busy inhaling this tangy goodness. Weekend here we come, pretzels and dip on the docket!
'Goat' Cheese Pesto Dip [Vegan]
For vegan goat cheese:
- 1/2 cup cashews, soaked at least 2-3 hours
- juice of half a lime
- 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
For the pesto:
- 1 cup basil
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/3 cup smoked almonds (or regular almonds)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- For the pesto: In the bowl of a food processor or blender, combine the basil, garlic, smoked almonds, water, and salt. Puree until smooth, adding water as needed.
- For the vegan goat cheese: In the bowl of a food processor or blender, combine cashews, lime juice, vinegar and salt. Puree until smooth and blended, could take up to 2-3 minutes, adding water if necessary.
- Combine pesto and vegan goat cheese in small bowl, mixing thoroughly. Can be served immediately, but flavors blend better if refrigerated for at least 2 hours.