One of the biggest challenges faced by the lactose-intolerant and vegans alike is the desire for cheese. Before I became a vegan, I had no idea that you could actually make cheese without dairy at all – just from nuts and seasonings! Thankfully, necessity being the mother of invention, I learned how to make a cheese out of nuts that is so tasty that my cravings are satisfied.
Baked Nut Cheese [Vegan]
- 1 1/2 cups raw cashews or blanched almonds
- 1/4 cup lemon or lime juice
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1–1 1/2 tsp salt
- Soak the nuts overnight in a bowl of water to cover.
- Drain the nuts and place in the blender with the remaining ingredients.
- Blend until smooth.
- Place mixture in cheesecloth and close up.
- Place cheesecloth in a strainer over a bowl.
- Place in refrigerator overnight.
- The next day, drain off any liquid
- Plop mixture out of cheesecloth into an oiled oven-proof bowl or dish.
- Bake in a pre-heated 180C oven for 40 minutes or until the cheese is firm and the top is beginning to crack, dry and turn golden.
- Serve warm or let cool and store in fridge.