This one-bowl recipe is light, but hearty! Cauliflower is shredded in a food processor and then cooked with Indian spices and fresh vegetables to create a light and fluffy "pilaf." The soft cauliflower pilaf pairs with sweet bell peppers, greens, mushrooms, and other vegetables for a meal that's as healthy as it is satisfying.
Turmeric Cauliflower Pilaf Vegetable Bowl [Vegan]
For the Cauliflower Pilaf:
- 2 cups of red onions, about 1 large onion
- 3 cups (or more) of mushrooms, sliced
- 3 cups of cubed eggplant
- 7 cups of shredded cauliflower, this is about half of a head of cauliflower
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-2 cups of water or vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 10 curry leaves, or 1-2 bay leaves
- Fresh pepper, to taste
For the Pilaf Vegetable Bowl:
- Cauliflower rice base (above)
- 1 cup diced bell pepper
- 2 cup of beans
- 1 lime, zest and juice
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced ginger
- A few dashes of cayenne pepper
- Additional broth, if needed to help wilt greens
- 3 cups of greens of your choice
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro or parsley
- Additional salt/pepper, as desired
- Pistachios, slivered almonds, or pumpkin seeds, for garnish
To Make the Cauliflower Pilaf:
- Shred the cauliflower in a food processor using the shredding attachment.
- Add onions to a hot pan, along with a little broth to help sauté (not too much, as you want the onions to caramelize slightly). Sauté onions until translucent, then add eggplant and mushrooms.
- Add in cauliflower rice.
- Sauté until cauliflower softens, adding in broth/water as needed to prevent sticking, but just enough to soften the rice without getting too watery. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Top with slivered almonds or toasted pine nuts
To Make the Pilaf Vegetable Bowl:
- Add peppers while cooking the cauliflower rice pilaf, and add in remaining ingredients listed above, except greens, cilantro, and nuts. Heat thoroughly.
- When finished, add greens, cilantro, and stir until greens are wilted (adding more water/broth if needed).
- Serve and top with slivered almonds, pistachios, toasted pine nuts, or pumpkin seeds.
EXPLORE MORE VEGAN RECIPES WITH THESE INGREDIENTS