These bars are a triple threat of pretzels and crisp rice cereal, peanut butter cup filling, and a rich chocolate glaze. They're like decadent little bites of heaven! Though there are three separate layers, each takes just a few minutes to make — most of the time spont on these bars is in the waiting for them to cool down.
Triple Layer Peanut Butter Cup Pretzel Krispies Bars [Vegan]
- 1 cup crushed salted pretzels (regular or gluten-free)
- 3/4 cup crisped rice cereal (regular or gluten-free)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons, plus 1/2 teaspoon light corn syrup
- 7 tablespoons vegan butter
- 5 ounces vegan chocolate chips
- 1 cup peanut butter (or any nut butter)
- 3 ounces vegan chocolate chips
- Line an 8×8-inch baking pan on both sides with parchment paper, creating a “sling.” Place the crushed pretzels and cereal in a large bowl.
To Make the First Layer:
- Combine the sugar, water, and 3 tablespoons corn syrup in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and cook until a candy thermometer registers 235°F (about 5 minutes).
- Remove from heat and stir in 3 tablespoons of the butter. Immediately pour over the pretzel/cereal mixture and stir to coat.
- Transfer this mixture to the prepared pan and press in evenly. Let cool.
- Wash and dry your saucepan, and fill it halfway with water, and bring to a simmer.
To Make the Second Layer:
- Combine the chocolate listed first in the ingredients list and peanut butter in the top of a double boiler. Place over your saucepan of simmering water and stir until smooth.
- Pour over the cooled crust and spread evenly, then refrigerate till hardened (about 60 minutes). Wash and dry the bowl; return the saucepan of water to a simmer.
To Make the Third Layer and to Serve:
- Combine the chocolate, remaining 4 tablespoons butter, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon corn syrup in the top of the double boiler.
- Place over your saucepan of simmering water and stir until smooth. Pour over the chilled layer and spread evenly.
- Refrigerate until hardened (about one hour). Cut into squares and serve.