This quiche is a satisfying main course, perfect for your any occasion, or just a great way to have a delicious dinner for a few days. It is packed with fresh tomatoes and basil as well as savory mushrooms in an eggy chickpea flour filling.The foolproof pie crust is gluten-free, buttery, and absolutely delicious.
Tomato Basil Quiche [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Crust Dry Ingredients:
- 3 cups gluten-free pie crust mix
- 1/4 cup chickpea flour
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Cooking oil spray
For the Crust Wet Ingredients:
- 12 tablespoons chilled vegan butter
- 3/4 cup unflavored unsweetened coconut yogurt (see notes)
For the "Egg" Filling:
- 1 cup chickpea flour
- 2 scoops vegan protein powder
- 1 cup, plus 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 tablespoon oil
- 5 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon stevia powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 12 ounces baked tofu (usually this would be two packages)
- 1 cup coconut cream
- 1 tablespoon miso paste
For the Vegetables:
- 8 ounces Baby Bella mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup shallots or onions
- 1 cup seeded Roma tomatoes, chopped into 1/4-inch squares
- 1 extra Roma tomato, very thinly sliced horizontally into rounds
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced or grated finely
- 1/2 tablespoon oil
To Make the Pie Crust:
- Chop vegan butter into cubes and place in freezer for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add all dry ingredients to food processor and whirl away for a few seconds to mix well.
- Once butter is chilled, add it to the food processor and pulse 10 times,1-second pulses.
- Transfer crust ingredients to a large bowl, add 3/4 cup yogurt.
- Mix well with a spatula until combined, do not overmix.
- Transfer crust dough to large piece of wax paper or cling rwrap, flatten dough to a thick disk with your hands, wrap and place in refrigerator for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 425°F and grease up a pie pan.
- Take chilled dough out and transfer to a large piece of wax paper dusted with a touch of flour.
- Dust the top of the dough with a touch of flour, place a second large piece on top of the dough, then use a rolling pin to roll it out to 1/8-inch thick. This should be slightly larger than the outer edges of your pie dish (measure by placing pie dish on rolled out dough).
- Carefully peel off top piece of wax paper. Place pie dish face down on top of rolled out dough. Carefully flip dough and pie dish, letting the dough settle in.
- Remove wax paper, gently push the dough into pie dish, if it tears simply patch it up.
- Cut off excess dough that passes the pie pan, you can simply the times of a fork to create a pretty design around the edges, or use your fingers to indent the edges.
- Dock the bottom of the pie crust with a fork at least 6 times. Place dish with crust back into the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- Take pie crust out of refrigerator. Spray a 9-inch piece of foil with oil, place the foil greased side down inside the pie crust, place pie weights or dried legumes or rice onto foil.
- Place pie crust into oven for 12 minutes. Carefully remove foil with weights and bake at 425°F for 3 more minutes.
- Let crust cool 5 minutes if baking the quiche the same day. You can make this a day ahead.
To Make the "Egg" Filling:
- Place all ingredients in blender and whirl away until smooth, if it looks too dry, add an extra tablespoon of water.
To Make the Vegetables:
- Preheat a 12-inch non-stick pan on medium high.
- Spray pan, add mushrooms, and sauté for 7 minutes.
- Push mushrooms to edges of pan, add 1/2 tablespoon oil and shallots, and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat, remove 8-10 mushroom slices, and reserve.
- Add remaining mushrooms to chopped tomatoes basil and garlic, then mix well.
To Make the Quiche:
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Mix mushrooms basil, chopped tomatoes, and garlic with "egg" filling, mix well, taste, and add salt and pepper according to preference.
- Pour filling into pie crust, spread evenly with spatula.
- Top with reserved mushroom slices and thin tomato slices and spray lightly with oil.
- Bake quiche for 25 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 325°F and bake 40 more minutes. Turn on broiler element. Sprinkle quiche with 1-2 tablespoons vegan Parmesan.
- Transfer quiche at least 10 inches below broil element, broil for 3-5 minutes if edges of crust look overcooked, you can cover them with little pieces of foil for the broil phase. Take quiche out and let cool at least 15 minutes.
Make your own yogurt by mixing 3/4 cup full fat coconut milk with 1 teaspoon vinegar and letting it sit 5 minutes.