This comforting and deeply flavorful soup comes together quite effortlessly. The broth is thick and tomatoey with hints of fragrant herbs and spices. It’s an extremely satisfying soup, full of vegetables. It's oh-so-delicious and perfect on blustery rain drenched nights when served with a side of bread.
Tomato and Mushroom Tortellini Soup [Vegan]
- 2 28-ounce cans diced tomatoes (about 5 cups)
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil, plus more for garnish
- 1 tablespoon dried herbs of your choice
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large leek, trimmed and sliced
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 teaspoon crushed pepper flakes, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon porcini mushroom powder
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 4 cups vegetable broth, plus more if you prefer a thinner soup
- 1 cup dried mushroom tortellini
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Combine diced tomatoes, tomato paste, basil, dried herbs, and ginger in a blender. Blend until smooth and set aside.
- In a large soup pot or saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat
- Add onion and garlic and sauté for 3–5 minutes, stirring often, until become soft and translucent and the garlic is fragrant
- Add leek, carrots, and pepper flakes, stir in the mushroom powder and turmeric, and cook, stirring often, for another 3 or so minutes
- Add vegetable broth, increase heat slightly (to medium-high), and bring to a boil
- Add tortellini, bring soup back to a boil and let cook for about 6–8 minutes, or until tortellini is almost al dente.
- Check seasoning and add salt to taste, reduce heat and let soup simmer for about 5 more minutes.
- Serve warm ladled into bowls with freshly ground black pepper and garnished with herbs and other toppings of your choice.