This recipe is the perfect Sunday night dinner; it's full-flavored, yet incredibly easy to make. Freshly cooked lentils are tossed in a mixture of mustard and onion with fresh cherry tomatoes and served on a bed of warm pasta. Top this hearty dish with chopped, fresh herbs and a sprinkle of almond parmesan.
Tomato and Lentils Over Pasta [Vegan]
- 1 cup laird lentils or French lentils
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon grainy mustard (coarse-seeded mustard)
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 heaping cup chopped white onion
- 1 cup chopped cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley or basil leaves
- Pasta, of your choice
- To cook the lentils by steam method (recommended for French lentils especially), soak them for 4-6 hours in cold water. When ready to cook, drain, and rinse. Transfer to a vegetable steamer basket and steam for 30 minutes, until soft, but still firm.
- If you are using large Laird lentils, simply add the dry lentils (no soaking is required) to a large pot of water and bring to a boil like pasta. Boil for 35 minutes, until tender but still firm. Once cooked, drain and rinse.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil for the pasta while the lentils cook. Add the pasta and cook according to package directions—timing the pasta to be ready for when the lentil salad is.
- While the lentils and pasta cook, prepare the onion and remaining ingredients (except the herbs) and combine them all in a large mixing bowl.
- When the lentils are cooked, toss them still warm into the mustard and onion mixture. Toss to combine and add the fresh herbs.
- Serve the lentil salad warm with hot pasta and a drizzle of olive oil, and more finishing salt, if desired.
EXPLORE MORE VEGAN RECIPES WITH THESE INGREDIENTS