Blending what is essentially two amazing recipes into one, the result is the most delicious and mouthwatering tofu tikka masala with mushroom and spinach, deep in flavor and rich in texture. This is a must for everyone that enjoys Indian cuisine.
Tofu Tikka Masala with Mushroom and Spinach [Vegan]
For the Tofu Tikka:
- 2 packs firm tofu
- 3 inch piece ginger, chopped
- 6 large cloves garlic, peeled
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 tablespoon curry powder
- 1/2 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 cup vegan plain yogurt
- 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil
For the Curry:
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 inch ginger, peeled and finely grated
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and finely grated
- 2 tablespoons mustard seeds
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon agave nectar
- 4 cups mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 1/8 dried shiitake mushrooms soaking in 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cups of baby spinach leaves
- Splash of vodka (optional)
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- Pinch of Methi Leaves (optional)
- Fresh or dried chili to your desired heat
- Bunch of fresh coriander, finely chopped.
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Place all of the marinade ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth
- Chop the tofu into large bite-size chunks and place in a freezer bag. Pour in the marinade, massage the marinade around the tofu and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- After the 4 hours, layer a baking sheet with parchment paper and place the tofu pieces on the parchment. Add a teaspoon of any leftover marinade on top of each piece of tofu and place in the oven for 25 minutes, or until just starting to blacken at the edges.
To Prepare the Curry:
- Over a low heat, heat the oil in a large frying pan. Add the ginger, garlic and mustard seeds and stir for 15-20 seconds for the seeds to pop.
- Add the onions and cook on a low heat for 10-15 minutes until softened.
- Add the mushrooms and cook for a further 5 minutes to soften
- 4 Remove the shiitake mushrooms from the stock and finely chop. Add to the pan with the stock, stir well and cover and simmer on a low heat for 10 minutes.
- Remove the lid and simmer for a further 5 minutes to reduce the liquid.
- Add the tinned tomatoes, curry powder, turmeric, black pepper and water and cover again simmering for a further 20 minutes for the tomatoes to break down.
- Remove the lid, add the spinach, a splash of vodka (if using), and cook uncovered for a further 10 minutes.
- Turn off the heat, add the garam masala, methi leaves (if using), stir in the fresh or dried chilli and chopped coriander, leaving a little for garnishing when serving.
To Serve the Dish:
- Place the prepared tofu tikka in the bottom of a casserole dish.
- Pour over the curry.
- Cover and bake in the oven for 30 minutes at 400°F.
- Serve with a garnish of coriander and your chosen accompaniment.
Vodka brings out the flavours of the dish. It is not crucial but if there is not a reason you would avoid, then give it a try. Methi Leaves give a good flavor, but again, if these are unavailable, just leave these out.