This tofu scramble is one of the best go-to meals for the whole family that you can put together in about 30 minutes or so. Pair the tofu with some classic rice and beans and homemade healthy roasted beet fries for a full meal. Who doesn't love breakfast for dinner?
Tofu Scramble With Roasted Beet Fries [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Scramble:
- Tofu scramble, as needed
For the Rice and Beans:
- 3 cups cooked, chilled long grain white rice
- 1 white onion, minced
- 3 cups cooked red beans (reserve aquafaba)
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- Canola oil
For the Beet Fries:
- Beets, as needed
- Potatoes, as needed
- Olive oil, as needed
- Salt, as needed
- Garlic powder, as needed
- Prepare the tofu scramble. Set aside.
- Dry fry the rice. Pretend you're making risotto, and get the grains nice and crispy in a hot saucepan before adding stock or water. 3-4 minutes over medium heat should do it--stirring frequently.
- Cook the rice normally. Make it the day before or the in the morning, and let it chill. You can't make fried rice with warm rice.
- The beans should be cooked from scratch (preferably in a pressure cooker). If you only have a saucepan, then it's going to take a whole lot longer, a couple hours. Plan ahead. Reserve the aquafaba and drain the beans.
- Sauté the onion in a few tablespoons of canola oil. Then add the rice and cook for 5 minutes over medium/high heat.
- Add the beans and about 1 1/2 cups of the aquafaba. Add salt as desired.
- Peel the beets (but don't parboil) and parboil the potatoes (but don't peel).
- Slice them thin and add salt, olive oil, and garlic powder.
- Bake for 25 minutes at 450°F.