No, it does not taste like fish, so that's why I called it "Tofuschmaus". But it has a nice creaminess, piquancy and the contrast between sweet, sour and salty that I used to love from the original version.
Tofu Herring Salad [Vegan]
- 17 1/2 ounces of potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 ounces of pickles, diced
- 1 small apple, peeled and diced
- 5.3-ounces of smoked tofu, coarsely grated
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 5.3-ounces of soy yogurt, natural
- 2 tablespoons vegan mayonnaise (home-made or bought, or simply 2 more tablespoons soy yogurt)
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Boil potatoes until firm. Allow to cool slightly. With the onions, gherkins, apple, smoked tofu and capers in a bowl and salt.
- Mix the soy yoghurt, mayo and mustard and add to the remaining ingredients.
- Mix well, maybe pepper a little and let it sit in the fridge for at least 2 hours.