These mushroom appetizers are juicy and full of fresh flavors. The chewy sun-dried tomatoes are soaked and mushroom stems are chopped and cooked down until their juices flow, flavoring the tofu with the essence of umami. A splash of balsamic vinegar and a tossing of oregano and basil makes each mushroom as scrumptious as the last. These are a party favorite in the making.
Tofu and Sun-Dried Tomato Stuffed Mushrooms [Vegan]
This Recipe is :
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 purple onion
- 3/4 cup grams of White Button, Cremini, or Portobello mushrooms
- 1 15-ounce block of tofu
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon chili
- 1 tablespoon dry oregano
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar, or red wine vinegar
- 1/4-1/2 cup vegan cheese, grated, to top
- Soak sun-dried tomatoes in boiling water for 10-15 minutes, until they become soft. Chop the tomatoes finely, while still allowing their texture to come through.
- Remove mushroom stems and set aside. Clean mushrooms well. Chop stems finely, leave mushroom caps whole.
- Drain tofu and chop finely.
- Chop onion finely and sauté until they become translucent, about five minutes. Add chopped mushroom stems and sauté another five minutes, until they start to give out juices. Add sun-dried tomatoes and tofu. Let cook for about 10 minutes on medium heat, letting the juices intermingle.
- Chop garlic and add all spices, herbs, and balsamic vinegar. Cook on medium-high heat for 10-15 minutes, stirring often, until mixture dries out a bit and the tofu begins to be brown.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Stuff the mushrooms and arrange them on a baking sheet. Top with grated vegan cheese. Drizzle with a bit of olive oil. Bake for 8-10 minutes.
- Right before serving, broil or grill mushrooms at 400°F for 3 minutes, to heat up the cheese. Sprinkle some chopped basil on top right before serving.
EXPLORE MORE VEGAN RECIPES WITH THESE INGREDIENTS