This simple meal is packed with spicy and fresh Thai flavors. The combination of basil, coconut, tamarind, and sesame will delight your tastebuds. This protein-packed meal is also incredibly simple to cook, making this dish an ideal weeknight staple.
Thai Basil Lentils and Sesame Coconut Brown Rice [Vegan]
For the Toasted Sesame Coconut Rice:
- 1 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 5 cups water, plus more if needed
- 2 1/2 cups uncooked brown rice
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
For the Thai Basil Lentils:
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 large carrots, cut into matchsticks
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 of 1 small hot red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon, freshly grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 cup shelled sweet peas
- 1 12-ounce can baby corn
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon tamarind paste
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch, plus 2 tablespoons water
- 2 cups cooked lentils
To Make the Rice:
- Combine coconut milk and water in a medium pot and bring to a soft boil. Add salt and rice, cover with lid, and reduce heat to medium-low.
- Simmer, stirring occasionally, until all liquid is absorbed and the rice is al dente. Add more water if needed. Turn off heat when done and stir in sesame seeds and oil. Cover to keep warm.
To Make the Lentils:
- While rice is cooking, add carrots, garlic, onion, ginger, peppers, and sesame oil to a wok or large pan and sauté over high heat until starting to brown, about four minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup water and continue cooking until liquid is almost completely evaporated. Add all remaining ingredients up until cornstarch and stir to combine.
- In a small bowl mix cornstarch with 2 tablespoons water and quickly stir into sauce. Add the lentils and reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Serve hot over rice.
EXPLORE MORE VEGAN RECIPES WITH THESE INGREDIENTS