In need of a good summer meal recipe? Don’t worry – we’ve got it covered! If you are anything like us, you probably don’t want to be spending hours in the kitchen during these summer months. For this Tahini Kale Protein Bowl, we’re using quinoa, kale, broccoli, crumbled tempeh, hemp seeds and a tahini ginger sauce. All delicious things in one big protein-packed bowl ready to serve in 20 min!
Tahini Kale Protein Bowl [Vegan]
For the Bowl:
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil/extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 of a red onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 cups kale, de-stemmed + torn
- 2 cups broccoli florets (about 1 small head)
- 4 ounces of tempeh, chopped/crumbled
- 1/4 cup hemp seeds
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons coconut aminos or tamari
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger (or 1 teaspoon fresh, grated ginger)
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 2/3 - 3/4 cup water
To Make the Bowl:
- Combine 1 cup quinoa with 2 cups water in a medium-sized pot.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat to simmer for about 15 minutes or until all water has been absorbed.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt the coconut oil on medium-high heat. Add the red onion and sauté for 2-3 minutes. Add the garlic, kale, broccoli and tempeh.
- Sauté for about 3 minutes.
- Once quinoa is finished cooking, scoop it into 2-3 bowls and top with the vegetable mixture.
- Sprinkle with raw hemp seeds.
- Generously drizzle tahini sauce on top
- Blend all ingredients together in a blender or food processor till smooth. Start with 2/3 cup water and add more as needed (dressing will thicken in the fridge).
All bowl components can be made up to 3 days in advance and kept refrigerated, making this perfect for take-to-work lunches, easy entertaining, and quick dinners. Dressing can be made up to 3 days in advance and kept in a glass jar in the refrigerator. Stir before using.