I am sure that Ras malai will find its place in the world’s top 10 non-vegan desserts. Made out of cream, milk, cheese,etc, etc. I was pretty sure that I wouldn’t be able to veganize this. But clearly, I was wrong! It turned out AMAZING. Note: You need to make the cream sauce a day before for the flavors to marry properly!
Sweet Potato Ras Malai [Vegan]
For the Dumplings:
- 1 cup mashed sweet potato, either roasted/boiled and mashed well
- 1/2 cup, plus 1 tablespoon almond meal (preferably oven-roasted)
- 2 tablespoons tapioca starch
- Seeds from 1 cardamom pod, pounded with mortar and pestle into a fine powder
- 1 tablespoon stevia
For the Cream Sauce:
- 1 handful of cashews
- 1 handful of pistachios
- 2 cardamom pods
- 1 cup almond milk
- Salt, to taste
- 2 tablespoons stevia
To Make the Dumplings:
- Chop sweet potato into large chunks and add them into boiling water, drain, pat them dry, mash well without any lumps
- Add rest of the ingredients and shape them into balls
- Steam them in a bamboo basket.
- Prick them with toothpick
To Make the Cream Sauce:
- To a bowl, add all the ingredients and leave it overnight.
- Next day, while the dumplings are cooking, remove the cardamom pods and blend into a fine paste/milk
- After the dumplings are done, heat this paste.
- When it starts to thicken, add the dumplings and then turn the heat off.
- Chill for couple of hours and serve
Adapted from Poojitha from Kitchen Equations
- Sweet Potato