Sweet potato pone, which is also popularly known as the potato pound of Belize, is a traditional dessert from Belize that consists of grated sweet potato, raisins, milk, cinnamon, and ginger. The texture is very similar to bread pudding, but in this recipe, sweet potato takes the place of bread as the starch that soaks up all the wonderful flavors.
Sweet Potato Pone: Sweet Potato Pudding [Vegan, Grain-Free]
- Preheat the oven to 450°F and grease a 9x13-inch rectangular baking dish.
- In a large bowl, combine the sweet potatoes, raisin, ginger, cinnamon, sugar, and vanilla.
- Add milk and oil/butter and stir well to incorporate.
- Pour the mixture into the dish.
- Bake on the bottom rack of the oven for 30 minutes and then lower the oven to 350°F. Move the dish to the top shelf and bake for an additional hour or until the top turns golden brown.