In this mac and cheese recipe, sweet potatoes serve as the base to make the cheesy orange sauce that we all know and love. The spices and mustard balance out the sweetness, to create the ultimate mac.
Sweet Potato Mac and Cheese with Spinach [Vegan]
- 2 medium sweet potatoes (about 2 cups cooked)
- 1 pound dried pasta shells
- 1/3 cup vegan butter
- 1/3 cup flour
- 2 cups unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons white miso
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 cups baby spinach, chopped
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Poke a few holes with a fork into sweet potatoes and wrap them in foil. Bake until cooked through, about 60 minutes. When sweet potatoes are cooked and slightly cool, scoop out the flesh and discard the skins. Set flesh aside.
- Cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- In a medium pot, melt the butter. Stir in flour and cook, stirring frequently for 3-5 minutes until mixture thickens. Stir in half the non-dairy milk and continue stirring another 2 minutes or so as mixture continues to thicken. Stir in sweet potatoes. Add in remaining milk, garlic, mustard, miso, cayenne, nutmeg, nutritional yeast, and salt. Continue cooking another few minutes until a thick sauce consistency is reached.
- Transfer sauce to a blender and blend until smooth. Place cooked pasta into the sauce pot. Over low heat, pour blended sauce over pasta and stir well. Stir in baby spinach and cook about 2 minutes until pasta is warm and spinach is wilted.
- Serve with freshly ground pepper.