This is a very nutritious and filling naan. Made from a blend of spelt and chickpea flour with sweet potato mixed in, it is not quite as fatty as a takeout naan bread and a lot drier in texture, but is absolutely delicious. Serve as you would any naan, with your favorite curry.
Sweet Potato and Chickpea Naan [Vegan]
- 1 1/2 cups wholemeal spelt flour or your favorite gluten-free flour mix
- 1 1/2 cups chickpea flour
- 2 teaspoon dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup roasted mashed sweet potato
- 1/3 cup soy or almond milk
- 3 tablespoon sunflower oil
- Begin by roasting your sweet potato. You can do this by setting a medium or large sweet potato in a 425°F oven until easily pierced by a fork.
- Once roasted and cooled peel skin and mash the flesh.
- Use 1 cup of the mashed sweet potato and combine with the milk and sunflower oil. Mix well and set aside. separate bowl, combine all the other ingredients.
- Add the sweet potato mixture to your flour mixture. Begin by mixing with a wooden spoon then remove dough and place on a floured surface and kneed for about 10 minutes. If the mixture is too sticky, add a little more flour as you go until it becomes easier to handle.
- Place the dough in a large greased bowl, cover with a tea towel and let rise for about 45 minutes until doubles in size.
- Seperate the dough in eight equal pieces and roll our with a rolling pin into thin circle shapes.
- Heat a little sunflower oil in a pan on medium heat and fry each bread for about 30 seconds each side. Add a little more oil as you go if you need it. They will puff up quickly. Continue until you finish all the breads.
- Serve with your favourite curry. Store in a sealable plastic bag and freeze for when you are ready to use.
Adapted from Occasionally Eggs.