This sweet potato and chickpea coconut curry is crunchy, creamy and delicious. The dish combines an excellent blend of spices and fresh ingredients to bring together a curry that is savory and well balanced. The cashews are a perfect crunchy counterpart to the tender sweet potatoes.
Sweet Potato and Chickpea Coconut Curry [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 4 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed into 1/2-inch squares
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1/4 cup curry paste
- 1 teaspoon turmeric (optional)
- 1 15-ounce chickpeas, drained
- 1 15-ounce can chopped tomatoes, with liquid
- 1 3/4 cups coconut milk
- 1/4 cup cold non-dairy milk
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 1/2 cup toasted cashews, divided
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley or cilantro, chopped
- In a large cooking pot, heat the coconut oil over a moderate heat.
- Add the sweet potatoes and onions, and cook them, stirring every so often until they soften.
- Add the curry paste and turmeric. Stir to coat the vegetables and cook for them another minute.
- Add the chickpeas, tomatoes (with the liquid), and coconut milk. Bring the mixture to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and allow the mixture to simmer for approximately 10 minutes or until sauce has thickened slightly.
- At this point, if you'd like a thicker curry, do the following: mix 1/4 cup of cold milk and 2 tablespoons of corn starch and gradually stir the mixture into the curry.
- Cover the curry and simmer it for another 10 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.
- Add half of the cashews and mix them in.
- Upon serving, garnish with parsley or cilantro and the remaining cashews.
- Serve with warm naan bread, pitas, or rice.