These rolls are the perfect combination of spicy and sweet. Made with black rice, creamy coconut milk, hot chili flakes, garlic, and plenty of veggies, they are not only delicious but a rainbow of colors. Serve with a drizzle of red chili sauce for bold presentation and of course, spiciness!
Sweet and Spicy Coconut Sushi [Vegan]
Serves3 large rolls
- 1 cup black rice
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons gochugaru or hot chili flakes
- 2 teaspoons raw cane sugar
- 1/4 teaspoons onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cucumber
- 1 carrot
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- Purple cabbage
- Wash the rice at least 3 times. Now, add the water and the coconut milk to the rice in a pan and bring it to a boil, cover the pan, and turn the heat to medium-low and let the rice simmer for about 30 minutes. You should be left with a sticky but not wet rice, if it is still too wet, let it steam, or simmer for another 5 minutes, making sure the bottom doesn’t burn.
- Add the rice to a bowl to let it cool and add the hot chili flakes, sugar, onion, and garlic powder, and mix to combine, using a wooden or rice spoon.
- Once the rice has cooled you can place a sheet of nori (shiny side down) on a bamboo rolling mat or clean dish towel and place the rice on top of the nori leaving about one inch without rice, top the rice with the veggies and tightly roll to form the roll. You can wet the end of the nori a bit to make it stick. After letting them sit while you roll the remaining rolls you can cut them with a very sharp and or wet knife to make perfect slices.
EXPLORE MORE VEGAN RECIPES WITH THESE INGREDIENTS