Who doesn't like mac and cheese (or shells and cheese in this case)? I have spent a lot of time trying to create great stove-top vegan mac and cheese that doesn't involve soy, commercial vegan cheese products, gluten or nuts. I think I finally have a winner in this fairly easy recipe.
Super Creamy Mac and Cheese (No Nuts, No Soy, No Problem!) [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- Gluten-Free pasta (shells or macaroni), as much as you desire to make keeping in mind that the sauce recipe is perfect for two servings of pasta (double the sauce recipe if necessary for a family meal)
- 2 cups chopped cauliflower
- 1/2 cup chopped butternut squash
- 1 cup water
- garlic powder and onion powder (to taste)
- Pink salt or sea salt (to taste)
- 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- Lemon juice (to taste)
- 1 cup rice milk (unflavored)
- 1-2 tsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp hemp seeds
- Fresh cracked Black pepper (to taste)
- 1-2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/4 tsp cumin and 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup reserved pasta cooking water
- Semi-cook your pasta until its still quite al dente. It will continue to cook with the sauce later so do not overcook, it should have a nice bite to it. Reserve 1/4 cup of the cooking water. Strain semi-cooked pasta and add to a dry pot. Set aside while you make sauce.
- Steam cauliflower and squash together until tender then add to a blender with remaining sauce ingredients.
Puree everything together until super smooth.
Pour sauce over the pasta in the pot and bring to a simmer. Taste. Add more of any spices you desire (garlic powder, onion powder, salt) until you are satisfied with the flavor (vegan mac n cheese requires a delicate balance of flavors). This recipe NEEDS salt so don’t leave it out and don’t be too shy with it.
I like this Mac thick and creamy so I cooked it over low heat for awhile to really thicken it up. If it gets too thick add more rice milk and stir. Make sure you don’t overcook your pasta though. Once finished I added extra black pepper.
EXPLORE MORE RECIPES WITH THESE INGREDIENTS: