Simple, fluffy vanilla mini cakes are the perfect canvas for sweet and juicy strawberries. Made from a blend of oat flour, millet flour, and arrowroot flour, these cakes are quite moist thanks to applesauce. Serve these individually-sized cakes with a cup of your favorite tea.
Strawberry Upside Down Cakes With Vanilla Bean [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1/4 cup arrowroot flour
- 1/3 cup, plus 1/2 tablespoon gluten-free oat flour
- 1/4 cup, plus 1/2 tablespoon millet flour
- A pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon flax meal
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/4 cup, plus 2 tablespoons solid coconut oil, plus a bit more
- 2/5 cup raw cane sugar, plus a bit more
- 1/2 a vanilla bean, scraped or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup, plus 1 tablespoon unsweetened applesauce
- A handful of strawberries, sliced
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Take out a muffin tin and put about 1/8 teaspoon of coconut oil into six wells. Put the tin in the oven for a minute to melt the oil. Remove the pan and carefully tilt the pan around to coat the wells with oil. Set the pan down and sprinkle in a good pinch of raw cane sugar into each well (about 1/2 teaspoon for each).
- Put a single layer of sliced strawberries on the bottom of each well on top of the sugar and oil. Make sure to cover the entire bottom, but don’t make more than one layer as the cakes won’t un-mould properly. Set the pan aside.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients in a bowl until combined. In a separate bowl, or the bowl of a stand mixer, mix together the solid coconut oil, the sugar, and contents of the vanilla bean until thick and creamy.
- Add the applesauce and mix until it is incorporated and the mixture is relatively smooth. Slowly start mixing in the dry ingredients a little at a time until they are fully incorporated. The batter should be thick and creamy. Divide the batter among the six wells, putting it on top of the strawberries. Smooth out the top of the batter, then place it in the oven.
- Bake the cakes for approximately 25 to 30 minutes until the tops are golden and a tester inserted into the middle comes out clean. Cool the cakes for at least 15 minutes before un-moulding them.