This is not the classic vanilla with cinnamon sugar coating, and no frying was actually involved either, but the result is way more delicious. I decided to make a strawberry lime ice cream, and coat it with a crunchy spiced cacao crust laced with chipotle. It was still going the Mexican route flavor wise! So...I may have cheated and not fried this and simply coated it, but I did warm it in the dehydrator and it was amazing.
Strawberry 'Un-Fried' Ice Cream With Cacao Crust [Vegan, Raw, Gluten-Free]
- 3/4 cup coconut water
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1 Tbsp lime zest
- 4 cups young coconut meat (or 4 cups raw cashews, soaked 4 hours and drained if coconut unavailable)
- 1/2 cup raw coconut nectar (or other liquid raw sweetnener of choice)
- seeds of one vanilla bean
- a pinch of sea salt
- 1/2 cup raw coconut butter (or oil will work too here), warmed to liquid
- 1 small chunk red beet
- 1 cup mixed organic raspberries and strawberries
- 1/2 cup raw sprouted buckwheat groats
- 1/2 cup finely shredded dried coconut
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed
- 3 Tbsp raw cacao powder
- 1/2 cup pitted, soft Medjool dates
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground chipotle powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/3 cup finely shredded dried coconut
- 1/4 cup cacao nibs
- 2 cups fresh organic strawberries
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp raw coconut nectar or your choice of liquid raw sweetener
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
To make ice cream base:
- Add coconut water, lime juic,e and zest to a high speed blender, along with coconut, nectar, vanilla, sea salt, coconut butter, beet, and berries, and process until very smooth, about a minute or two. Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker and process according to directions.
- Pour into a freezer safe container with a lid, and let sit in the freezer overnight or until scoop-able (it needs to firm up). Scoop out 4 balls of ice cream (you will have extra ice cream for another use) with a large ice cream scoop and allow them to freeze hard.
To make the coating:
- In a food processor, combine the buckwheat, coconut, flaxseed, cacao powder, sea salt, chipotle, cinnamon, and dates, and process until starting to hold together when squeezed (if it doesn’t, add a few more dates). Mix in the shredded coconut and cacao nibs. Place the crumble mixture in a bowl, and roll the ice cream balls in it, pressing it into them to adhere. Place the balls back in the freezer while you make the sauce.
To make the sauce:
- Combine all ingredients in the food processor and process until smooth.
- To plate, spoon some of the sauce onto the plate, then place the fried ice cream on top of it. Allow to sit out for at least 15 minutes to soften before enjoying (or you can pop it into the dehydrator a few minutes if you would like it quicker).
EXPLORE MORE VEGAN RECIPES WITH THESE INGREDIENTS