In this recipe, strawberry shortcake is reinvented as a baked crisp with a crumbly date sugar topping and a warm, gooey strawberry center. Crisp-ifying this classic dessert means it takes less effort to build, less time to bake, and as such, there's less time waiting before digging in.
Strawberry Shortcake Crisp [Vegan]
This Recipe is :
- 3 pounds of fresh strawberries
- 1/2 cup, plus 2 tablespoons date sugar
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot starch
- 1 1/2-2 cups rice flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla powder
- 1 teaspoon crushed dried food-grade rose buds
- A pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup cold coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- Plain coconut yogurt, for topping
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Wash and trim the strawberries, halving some and leaving others whole.
- Toss strawberries, 2 tablespoons of date sugar and the arrowroot starch in a large non-reactive bowl, then transfer to a baking dish.
- In the same bowl, mix the remaining date sugar, rice flour, baking powder, vanilla powder, crushed rose, salt, and coconut oil with your hands or with a pastry cutter until mostly combined, adding water to help bring the crumb together.
- Sprinkle topping over strawberries.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the topping has crisped and begun to brown. The strawberries should be soft and likely bubbling up around the edges.
- Allow to set and cool for a moment or two before spooning into bowls.
- Top with (non-dairy) yogurt and serve immediately.
EXPLORE MORE VEGAN RECIPES WITH THESE INGREDIENTS