This is a super simple recipe for Strawberry Banana Ice Cream Sundae with Raspberry Mint Sauce. It makes the perfect healthy snack or dessert for this time of the year and you only need a handful of ingredients. When it’s really hot outside, I sometimes even have it for lunch!
Strawberry Banana Ice Cream Sundae With Raspberry Mint Sauce [Vegan]
- 1 cup of raspberries, fresh or frozen and thawed
- 1 ½ tablespoon of maple syrup (or date paste, coconut nectar, a few drops of pure liquid Stevia…)
- ½ teaspoon of pure vanilla extract (optional)
- Fresh mint (or basil), to taste
- 4 large ripe bananas
- 1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
- Fresh strawberries, to taste
- Combine raspberries, maple syrup and vanilla extract in a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Add the fresh mint and blend again for a few seconds. This will prevent the sauce from turning brown.
- Peel 4 large ripe bananas and freeze them overnight (or at least 4 hours) in an airtight container or zip-lock bag.
- Roughly chop your frozen bananas with a sharp knife.
- Put your frozen banana chunks in a food processor fitted with an S-blade. Process until the frozen banana starts to look crumbly.
- Stop the food processor in between mixing and use a rubber spatula to scrape down the sides.
- Add your vanilla extract and process again until you have reached the desired consistency (hard ice cream or soft serve).
- Use an ice cream scoop or two large spoons to scoop the banana ice cream into two serving bowls or glasses.
- Drizzle with Raspberry Mint Sauce and add fresh strawberries to taste. Top with fresh mint.
This Raspberry Mint Sauce will stay fresh for at least 4 days in an airtight container in the refrigerator. If you don’t have a strong food processor at home, be careful with frozen bananas because they are quite hard to mix. It’s best to leave them out of the freezer for two to three minutes before your turn them into ice cream. It’s really important that you freeze ripe bananas that have turned brown on the outside, because those will be a lot sweeter which means you won’t need to add any extra sweetener to the ice cream.