This is part of our #5under5 recipe series, a collection of original plant-based recipes made by yours truly that cost less than $5 per serving and can be made with only five ingredients. No way, right?!
These wings are seriously amazing. Crunchy baked cauliflower "wings" coated in a sticky, spicy peanut sauce? Oh yeah! That's the kind of thing we want to eat all day, every day. Our secret ingredient is a few heaping tablespoons of orange marmalade, which gives the sauce a slightly sweet, slightly tangy hint of citrus. It's definitely a dish you'll want to share with everyone you know!
Have an idea for a #5under5 recipe? Send it to [email protected] and you might just see it on the site next week!
If you make this dish, be sure to post it on social media with #5under5 and tag @onegreenplanet so we can see your amazing creation!
#5under5: Sticky Peanut Orange Cauliflower Wings [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
The main ingredients in this recipe are cauliflower, peanut butter, orange marmalade, soy sauce, and ginger. Pantry items include water and red pepper flakes.
For the Sticky Peanut Butter Sauce:
- 1/4 cup chunky peanut butter – $1.10
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce – $0.09
- 3 tablespoons orange marmalade – $0.87
- 1-inch piece fresh ginger, grated – $0.35
- Crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
- Hot water, to thin
For the “Wings”:
- 1 medium head cauliflower – $2.50
For the Optional Garnishes:
- Whole salted peanuts
- Lime wedges
- Green onions
Total Cost Per Serving (1 head of cauliflower): $4.91
LIKE THIS RECIPE? BROWSE THROUGH OUR OTHER FAB #5UNDER5 RECIPES!
To Make the Peanut Sauce:
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all sauce ingredients except the hot water.
- Mix together until a chunky paste is formed. It will appear a little dry and crumbly at first – that’s okay. Drizzle in some hot water, about a tablespoon at a time, until a you get a nice smooth sauce. Be careful though, you don’t want to make the sauce too thin. If you end up adding too much water just stir in some more peanut butter until the sauce is thick again.
- Once the consistency is right, taste and adjust seasonings. Set aside.
To Make the “Wings”:
- Cut the head of cauliflower into bite-sized florets.
- Turn the florets into the bowl with the peanut sauce and mix with your hands (wearing gloves is a good option!) until every piece of cauliflower is coated in sauce. If you have any roasted and salted whole peanuts hanging around, feel free to throw in a few handfuls at this point and mix them in with the cauliflower and sauce.
- Preheat your oven to 400°F.
- Arrange the cauliflower pieces on a large baking tray so none overlap. This step is important to ensure that the cauliflower crisps up in the oven! Don’t discard any extra sauce, because you can use it to drizzle over the cauliflower once it comes out of the oven.
- After about 45 minutes to an hour, once the cauliflower pieces are tender on the inside and have a nice golden crust on the outside, remove them from the oven, drizzle with any extra sauce, and garnish with more peanuts, cilantro, green onion, and lime wedges, if you have them.
- Enjoy warm!
This week’s #5under5 recipe was inspired by blogger Laura Hemmington’s Sticky Peanut Cauliflower Wings. Thanks for the inspo, Laura!
(Per Serving) Calories: 171 | Carbs: 21 g | Fat: 8 g | Protein: 7 g | Sodium: 269 g | Sugar: 13 g
The cost of the serving size above is based on the NYC Metro Area product pricing below:
Orange marmalade: $3.50
Peanut butter: $2.50
Soy sauce: $3.00