These chipotle cauliflower wings are almost too good to be true. They taste super indulgent, but considering the bulk of the snack is cauliflower, they're actually relatively light. Enjoy the savory-sweet kick of these "wings" with some creamy vegan blue cheese or yogurt dip.
Sticky Chipotle Cauliflower Wings [Vegan]
For the Baked Cauliflower:
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
For the Chipotle Sauce:
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 cup agave nectar
- 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon corn starch
- Preheat oven to 450º F. Cut up cauliflower into bite-sized pieces then blanch them. Do this by adding them to a pot of cold water. Over high heat bring the water up to a boil and then immediately drain the cauliflower and run them under very cold water. If your tap water doesn’t get painfully cold, place the hot cauliflower into a large bowl of ice water. Once cooled, place your cauliflower onto an absorbent paper towel or dish towel to dry.
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix together flour, water, and oil and then toss the cauliflower into the bowl until all of the pieces are coated. Place the cauliflower onto a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake at 450º F for 18-20 minutes, or until the batter begins to turn golden brown.
- While the cauliflower is baking, combine all of the sticky chipotle sauce ingredients, except for the apple cider vinegar, together in a saucepan. Bring the sauce to a simmer over medium-high heat and then simmer for 1 minute while stirring frequently. Then remove from the heat and mix in the apple cider vinegar. Set aside until the cauliflower is done baking.
- Once the cauliflower is done, keep it on the parchment-lined cookie sheet, coat it in the sticky chipotle sauce, and then place it back into the oven and bake for another 2-3 minutes until the sauce is hot, bubbling, and sticky. Serve immediately.