This dish is the marriage of bagels and rice paper rolls, arguably two of the best things in the world. It starts with tofu that's coated in a spicy and umami peanut sauce. The softness of the tofu and the spiciness of the sauce contrasts with the crispness of the vegetables. For the bagels, you can use your favorite kind, or just make your own!
Sriracha Tofu Bagel Sandwich [Vegan]
For the Sandwich:
- 1-2 bagels
- Oil, for frying
- 1 10-ounce block of tofu, sliced lengthways
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 ripe mango cheek, finely sliced
- 1/4 red cabbage, finely sliced
- 2 small radishes, finely sliced
- A handful of spinach
- A handful of bean sprouts
- 6 tablespoons peanut satay sauce (recipe below)
- A handful of coriander
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the Sauce:
- 1/4 cup, plus 2 tablespoons smooth, natural peanut butter
- 1/2 cup, plus 1 tablespoon coconut milk
- 1 small of fresh ginger, finely grated
- 1 medium clove of garlic, finely grated
- 1 tablespoon ketjap (Indonesian sweet soy sauce)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce/tamari
- Lime juice from 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha/hot sauce
- Salt, to taste
- A generous amount of tellicherry pepper
- A pinch of ground coriander
- A pinch of ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon palm sugar, finely grated
To Make the Sauce:
- To make the sauce, combine all the ingredients in the bowl of a blender and blend until smooth. Taste and adjust seasoning.
To Make the Sandwich:
- Heat oil in a pan, add the tofu, and cook until slightly browned. Add the Sriracha and lime juice and toss. Season with salt and place aside.
- Cut the bagels in half and toast on a medium hot pan, until slightly browned. Place the bottom half on a plate and arrange the red cabbage, mango, spinach, radish, bean sprouts, and coriander on top, seasoning with salt and pepper in between layers.
- Top with the tofu and cover with a few tablespoons of peanut satay sauce and a sprinkling of sesame seeds. Top with the other half of the bagel and serve.
EXPLORE MORE VEGAN RECIPES WITH THESE INGREDIENTS