Tempeh is one obliviously of my favorite proteins to work with, and I’ve found it makes the best little sliders. These are great are because you get about 4 per standard package of tempeh. Since living in LA, these lil’ guys have become a staple in my catering arsenal. Here is a hint: you can replace the sriracha with BBQ sauce if it’s too hot you! (From The Lusty Vegan © 2014 by Ayinde Howell and Zoe Eisenberg. Used by permission, Vegan Heritage Press.)
Sriracha Tempeh Sliders With Vegan Ranch Dressing [Vegan]
- 1/4 cup grapeseed or safflower oil
- 8 ounces tempeh, cut into 4 squares
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh sage
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sriracha sauce
- 8 slider buns, split
- 1/2 red onion, sliced (optional)
- 1/2 cucumber, sliced (optional)
- Heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium heat until hot and shimmering. Add the tempeh and cook until browned on both sides, about 4 minutes per side. Repeat until all of the tempeh is cooked.
- Remove the tempeh to a plate lined with paper towels. Remove half of the oil from the skillet and return the skillet to the heat. Add the onion and sauté for approximately 2 minutes, then add the sage, garlic, basil, and salt and sauté for 1 minute.
- In a bowl, combine the water and sriracha, stirring to mix. Pour the sriracha water into the skillet and add the tempeh back into skillet. Cover and simmer on low for 10 minutes.
- Lightly toast the slider buns and arrange a tempeh patty on the bottom half of each bun. Top with the dressing and sliced onion and or cucumber, if using. Serve hot.
For the Ranch:
- In a medium bowl, whisk all ingredients thoroughly. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
You can find slider buns at Trader Joes or well-stocked supermarkets. If unavailable, cut hoagie rolls into slider-sized sections.
EXPLORE MORE VEGAN RECIPES WITH THESE INGREDIENTS