These doughnuts need to be had and you all must get this goodness into your repertoires, stat. Sweet and toothsome without all of the unhealthiness of their fried counterparts, you don't have to feel guilty after eating one of these!
Sprouted Buckwheat Cake Doughnuts [Vegan, Raw, Gluten-Free]
- 1 cup dry buckwheat, sprouted
- 2 cups shredded, unsweetened coconut
- 1 apple, grated
- 5 medjool dates, soaked and pitted
- 1/2 t cinnamon
- 1/4 t vanilla
- Combine everything in a food processor and process until a sticky dough forms.
- Wet your hands and then split the dough into four equal parts (more or less depending on how many donuts you want).
- Using your hands, roll each part into a ball and then use your thumbs to dig a center out of the ball. Continuously use your hands to smooth together the dough as you dig a hole in the center. This gives it the donut shape.
- Place on a mesh liner in a dehydrator and dehydrate at 145 for 3 hours. You can use lower temps for longer periods, just look for a hard outside and cakey inside.
- Top with your favorite frosting and enjoy! (here I used a cinnamon date paste (soaked dates, water and cinnamon blended) along with a vanilla coconut frosting (coconut butter, vanilla, coconut nectar).
To sprout buckwheat groats, put the groats in a bowl, add water to cover, and stir. Soak for only 15--20 minutes to avoid the gelatinous residue that forms with longer soaking. Drain in a sieve and rinse. Place the sieve over a bowl and cover with a towel. Sprout for 24--48 hours (depending on the room temperature), rinsing twice a day. When used in raw food recipes, buckwheat is measured after being sprouted.