This rustic vegetable pie is very tasty despite only requiring a few simple ingredients. The lattice arrangement of the sautéed leeks along with the bright and beautiful gingery carrots will wow whoever has the honor of sharing this quiche with you. It is an excellent healthy option to bring to picnic and parties.
Spinach, Leek, and Carrot Quiche [Vegan]
For the Dough:
- 2 cups of wholemeal flour
- 1 tablespoon and 2 and 1/2 teaspoons of extra virgin olive oil (or sunflower oil)
- 1 tablespoon and 2 teaspoons of soy cream
- Lukewarm water
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- Sesame seeds
For the Filling:
- 8.8 ounces of sautéed spinach
- 2 medium-sized carrots
- 2 sprigs fresh savory
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 piece of leek (about 1 1/2 inches) and its green leaves
- 5 tablespoons of unsweetened soy yogurt
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger
- Sea salt, to taste
- Mirin (alternatively white wine)
- A few drops of lemon juice
- Green pepper (or other pepper)
To Make the Dough:
- Put the flour into mixer with 1 pinch of salt, oil, and soy cream. Turn on low speed and work the dough for a few minutes. Add lukewarm water slowly, raising mixer to medium speed until a smooth ball of dough has formed. Let it rest in a covered bowl for 10 minutes (you can skip this step if you hurry).
- Hand Method: Sift the flour and place with 1 pinch of salt in a large bowl. Whisk oil and soy cream and mix them into flour with a wooden spoon. Add lukewarm water and transfer dough to a wooden board and work until smooth. Let stand covered for 10 minutes (you can skip this step if you hurry).
To Make the Filling:
- Heat up wok with 1 tablespoon of oil and 4 tablespoons of water. Add the finely chopped whites of the leeks. Add a pinch of salt and let it braise until it becomes transparent. Remove from pan and let cool.
- Heat up the other tablespoon of oil with finely chopped summer savory, thyme, and ginger. When ginger is browned, add the carrots, peeled and chopped into small cube, and a pinch of salt. Sauté over medium heat for a few minutes. Pour the mirin or white wine and up the heat. Turn off the heat when the liquid has evaporated from it all. Remove from pan and let cool.
- Wash and drain the spinach before tossing with a pinch of salt and place in pan. Cover with lid and cook until their volume will be halved (about 3 minutes). Drain and rinse immediately in cold water (even better water and ice). Squeeze well and chop coarsely knife.
- Blanch leeks in lightly salted water until they are soft. Drain and place lay on a cloth to cool.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the spinach to the soy yogurt and leeks. Add pepper to taste and add a few drops of lemon juice. Mix well and taste with salt if necessary.
To Bake and Assemble:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour the quiche pan. Roll out the dough to about an inch higher than the mold. With the surplus you will make the quiche edges.
- Cover the pan with the dough. Fill it with the spinach and then the carrots. Take the leaves of the leek and create a grid over the filling. Close to the center with the excess dough. Mix 1 part of soy sauce with 2 parts of water and brush the edges of dough. Sprinkle edges with sesame seeds. Create a heart with the dough and place it in the center of the pie.
- Bake the cake and lower the oven temperature to 350°F. Cook until the spinach congeals and there is a golden crust.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely before removing from the mold and cutting it. Serve warm or cold.