Ever crave a classic grilled cheese and tomato soup but without the dairy? We got you! This grilled cheese is filled with an extra little treat - avocado, making it much heartier and delicious. And it pairs beautifully with the tomato soup. You must give it a shot!
Spicy Tomato Soup With Coconut Yogurt and Avocado Grilled Cheese [Vegan]
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small red onion, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 1-2 jalapeños, (2-3 tablespoons) seeded and sliced
- 1 small carrot, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 rib celery, thinly sliced
- 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes with basil
- 2 cups vegetable stock or no-chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- sea salt, to taste
- Sliced bread
- Avocado, sliced into 1/4" wedges
- Tomato, thinly sliced
- Vegan cheese slices
- Black Pepper
- Olive Oil
- Garlic powder
- In a medium to large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Cook onions 3-5 minutes.
- Add jalepeños, garlic, carrots and celery. Cook another 2-3 minutes, stirring.
- Add crushed tomatoes and stock. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer 15 minutes until vegetables are tender.
- Remove from the heat and purée the whole soup until smooth.
- Return the soup to the stovetop and stir in sugar and salt to taste, if needed.
- Serve each bowl with a dollop of yogurt and a few small sprigs of chopped cilantro leaves.
- Assemble each sandwich with sliced cheese, tomato and avocado. Season with pepper. Close the sandwich and drizzle the top with olive oil and garlic powder.
- Heat a sauté pan over medium heat and add a little olive oil. Place the sandwich in the pan and cook until browned on both sides, and cheese is melted.
- Slice and serve hot.