This spicy tempeh-bacon sweet potato hash is a great way to liven up your breakfast routine. Its spicy flavors are the perfect accompaniment to tofu scrambles and omelettes. It's savory, a little spicy, super filling, and it can be completely customized! Throw in your favorite vegetables and make breakfast exciting again.
Spicy Tempeh-Bacon Sweet Potato Hash [Vegan]
This Recipe is :
For the Tempeh Bacon:
- 1 8-ounce block tempeh, sliced into very thin strips
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
For the Hash:
- 1-2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 portobello mushroom cap, chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 heaping cup fresh kale, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- Prepare the tempeh bacon. Lay tempeh slices in glass baking dish to marinate. Whisk together oil, maple syrup, paprika, chipotle, and cumin and then drizzle over tempeh. Marinate for at least 15 minutes or overnight in fridge.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Place tempeh slices on hot skillet and cook until browned, 2-3 minutes per side. Don’t add tempeh until skillet is hot. Once cooked, remove the tempeh strips from the skillet and set aside on a plate or cutting board.
- Prepare the hash. Add oil, onions, and sweet potatoes to skillet, cover, and cook until sweet potatoes are tender, about 12 minutes.
- Roughly chop tempeh bacon strips and add them back into the skillet. Add bell pepper, mushroom, oregano, nutritional yeast, and garlic and cook for an additional 4-5 minutes. Add kale and cook until wilted, 3-4 minutes. Turn off heat and stir in fresh basil.