A warming and spicy black bean soup that is so easy to throw together in the morning before work. Come home to a spicy aroma and a hearty dinner perfect for any occasion.
Spicy Slow Cooker Black Bean Soup [Vegan]
- 1 cup dried black beans, soaked overnight
- 1 red onion, small diced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, small diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 3 stalks celery, small diced (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 cup quartered cherry tomatoes
- 2 1/2 cups medium diced sweet potato (about 1 medium-large sweet potato)
- 1/2 cup dried brown rice
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon coriander
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2-1 1/2 teaspoons red pepper flakes (more for more spice)
- 7 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 cups baby spinach (optional)
- Garnish: guacamole or sliced avocado
- Put the beans in a large bowl and cover with 3 inches of water. Soak the black beans overnight (about 8 hours). In the morning drain and rinse the beans and add them to the slow cooker.
- Add all remaining ingredients except the lime juice, spinach, and guacamole and cover the slow cooker and set it to high for 6-7 hours. Stir a few times throughout cooking if possible.
- When the beans are cooked and the sweet potato is tender the soup is done. Stir in the lime juice and baby spinach (if using) and continue to cook on high until the spinach is wilted.
- Divide among bowls and garnish with guacamole or sliced avocado!
If you want a less spicy soup, use 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes. You can also use 2 cans of black beans instead of dried beans. If using canned beans, you can set the slow cooker to low and cook for 8 hours.
- Beans - Black