This spicy roasted chickpea spread is the perfect, creamy addition to any sandwich. The fiery roasted chickpeas are seasoned with cayenne and lemon and then blended with some sundried tomatoes for a delightful flavor combination.
Spicy Roasted Chickpea Spread Sandwich [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 14.5-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/3 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- To make the spicy roasted chickpeas, preheat oven to 400°F.
- Spread rinsed chickpeas on a clean kitchen towel and rub to dry.
- Toss the chickpeas with olive oil, cayenne, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper.
- Spread them in a single layer on rimmed baking sheet and bake them for 15 minutes, stirring them halfway through baking time. Cool them for 5 minutes.
- In a food processor, combine the roasted chickpeas, mayonnaise-dried tomatoes, basil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Process the mixture until it's smooth, scraping down the sides as necessary.