Although the origin of the ceviche is Peruvian, it is quite common in several Latin American countries. Mexico has its own version of this dish that's a little spicier with added avocado and lime. It's great as an appetizer served with crispy tostadas, baked corn chips, or it can be eaten as a side with a main course.
Spicy Mexican Hearts of Palm Ceviche [Vegan]
This Recipe is :
- 15 ounces hearts of palms
- 1/4 medium red onion, finely diced
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 plum tomatoes, centers removed and cut into medium cubes
- 1/2 avocado, diced medium
- 1 small jalapeño, seeded and finely diced
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- Cut the hearts of palm into 1-inch slices, then cut each slice in quarters.
- In a medium bowl, toss together the hearts of palms and the red onion. Add the lime juice, cumin, coriander, and garlic. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Remove from the refrigerator and gently mix in the diced tomatoes, avocado, jalapeño, and chopped cilantro. Season with salt and pepper to taste.