A crunchy recipe with fried chickpeas filled with spicy flavors from habanero peppers and seasoning. Very addictive, and perfect to snack on!
Spicy Fried Chickpeas [Vegan]
- 1 pound of picked through chickpeas
- 3 tablespoons green seasoning
- 2 habanero peppers
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups of canola oil
- Pick through the chickpeas thoroughly. Remove any black peas or any rocks.
- Fill a bowl with water and add the chickpeas to soak overnight. Make sure there is at least an inch more water that covers the peas.
- Dry the chickpeas very, very well. Drain it and spread it out in a large cookie sheet lined with paper towels. Let this air dry for 2 hours.
- Heat the oil to 350°F. Make sure you use a big enough pot so that the oil does not overflow.
- If you have a splatter guard for your pots that prevents the oil from spraying all over this is the time to use it.
- Add the chickpeas a cup at a time to fry. Cover with the splatter guard. Step back.
- Some of the chickpeas will pop. Only 1-2 had popped with mine.
- Let the chickpeas fry for 15 minutes until it floats and starts to brown.
- Drain it on paper towels and quickly add it to a bowl. Add the green seasoning, the finely minced peppers, salt and black pepper.
- If you are frying the chickpeas in batches, season it in batches as well, as you need the chickpeas semi hot still.
- Place in an airtight container in a cool dry place.
- Eat as necessary, very addictive. Goes great with an ice cold beer!