Tomato soup is one of those comfort foods that many of us grew up with. In this recipe, it's spiced with chili powder and red pepper flakes and then made rich using creamy canned coconut milk. Serve this comforting soup with a melty vegan grilled cheese sandwich.
Spicy Cream of Tomato Soup [Vegan]
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup thinly sliced sweet onion
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 4-5 cups crushed tomatoes
- 1 15-ounce can coconut milk
- 1/8 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- In a large stockpot, heat the oil and sauté the onions on medium-high heat until translucent.
- Add the spices and fry until fragrant.
- Add the crushed tomatoes to the pot, stir to combine and bring to a simmer, and cook 5 more minutes. This allows the flavors to mingle.
- Turn off the heat and carefully pour the tomato mixture into the jar of a blender. Add the coconut milk, salt, and pepper and blend on the high/liquify setting until smooth. Taste and adjust spices to your preference.
- Serve immediately, or store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the fridge for up to a month.
EXPLORE MORE VEGAN RECIPES WITH THESE INGREDIENTS