Yes, it sounds a bit like we’re showing off, but in all seriousness, this chorizo is award winning. And you wouldn’t want to miss out on an award-winning vegan chorizo, would you?
Spicy Chorizo [Vegan]
- 2 1/2 cups vital wheat gluten
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon hot smoked paprika
- 2 1/2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons cooked basmati rice
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus 2 tablespoons for grilling
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- Mix the dry ingredients, then separately mix the wet ingredients with 2 cups water. Next, mix them together, first stirring with a wooden spoon and then kneading well by hand.
- Cut the dough into eight portions. Shape each piece by hand into a sausage and roll each one tightly in an 8x8-inch sheet of plastic wrap. Knot the ends.
- Put the sausages in a steamer and steam for 30 minutes. Let cool completely. Remove the plastic wrap.
- Brush the sausages with olive oil and grill them over direct heat for 4 to 5 minutes each side.
Spanish Padrónpeppers make quite a good accompaniment for our chorizo. Brush the peppers with a little olive oil and roast them in a cast-iron frying pan or on a griddle. Serve them with coarse sea salt.