This recipe is phenomenal not only in taste but visual appeal. Tofu is sautéed with shallots, fresh chili peppers, a healthy amount of garlic and ginger, and a special spice blend. This flavor-packed tofu dish is easy to make, cooks in under 30 minutes, and pairs wonderfully with rice or grains of your choice.
Spicy Black Pepper Tofu [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Tofu:
- Canola oil, for sautéeing
- 1 12.3-ounce package of firm tofu packed in water, cut into 3/4-inch
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 6 small shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 fresh red chili (go for milder ones), thinly sliced
- 6 cloves garlic, crushed or very thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground ginger
- 3 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari
- 1-2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon blackening spice
- 5-6 green onions cut into 1 1/4-inch lengths
For the Blackening Spice:
- 1/2 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1/2 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- Combine all ingredients for the blackening spice in an airtight jar.
- In a large bowl, toss the tofu cubes with the cornstarch.
- Heat a thin layer of oil into a large frying pan or wok over medium heat and fry half the cubed tofu at a time to prevent overcrowding.
- Fry for about 6-8 minutes or until golden brown, stirring frequently.
- When they are done transfer the tofu to paper towels and complete your second batch adding oil first if needed.
- Remove any sediment from your pan and heat a couple tablespoon of oil in the same pan.
- Add your shallots, chili, ginger, and garlic and sauté for about 5 minutes or until all the ingredients are soft.
- Add your soy sauce and blackening spice mixing well.
- Add 1 tablespoon of maple syrup.
- Add the tofu to the sauce and mix well to incorporate and warm.
- Add more syrup (1 tablespoon) if needed.
- Finally, stir in the green onions and serve.
Adapted from Miglore, Kristen's “Black Pepper Tofu from Yotam Ottolenghi” from Food 52 Genius Recipes.