This trifle may be a dessert, but it could easily classify as a breakfast. Crumbled speculoos cookies, almond yogurt, and cherries cooked with sugar until thick and syrupy, it has layers of delicious flavors. The cookies are crunchy with hints of cinnamon, the almond yogurt is creamy, and the cherries are sweet, sugary, and juicy. If you'd like the yogurt to be a little thicker, try setting it in a coffee filter and let it refrigerator overnight.
Speculoos Cherry Almond Trifle [Vegan]
- 12 ounces frozen cherries
- 2 tablespoons raw sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups, plus 1 1/2 tablespoons almond yogurt
- 5.2 ounces vegan speculoos cookies
- In a small pot, add cherries, sugar, and water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low.
- Transfer 3 tablespoon liquid from the pot into a small bowl and whisk together with cornstarch. Return to the pot, stir, and bring it to a boil again.
- Once it thickens, remove from heat and let it cool down for a bit.
- Using your hands or a freezer bag and a rolling pin, crumble the speculoos.
- Layer the speculoos, yogurt, and cherries in jars or glasses to your liking. Or, start with speculoos, then add cherries, the main portion of the yogurt, then cherries again, some more yogurt, speculoos, and a few more cherries.
- Serve warm right away or put it in the refrigerator and serve cold later.