I had an idea for a quiche with the flavors of a Spanish potato omelet (called a tortilla) with chorizo. And I wanted to make sure that it could be easily cut and consumed while still warm from the oven, rather than waiting for it to cool first. This recipe is the result of my "tinkering" and it made a delicious dinner with a big green salad (with some left over for lunches). The filling is smooth and creamy, with just enough spicy contrast from the sausage.
Spanish Potato and Chorizo Omelet-Style Quiche [Vegan]
Low fat Oil Pastry:
- 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 7 Tbs unbleached white flour (NOTE: OR use 1/2 cup white pastry flour + 7 Tbs regular whole wheat flour)
- 3/8 tsp salt
- 3/8 tsp baking powder
- 3/8 tsp sugar
- 3 Tbs olive oil
- 3 Tbs soymilk or nut milk
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 medium thin-skinned potato (4-5 ounces), steamed or microwaved until just tender and cooled
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 1 bunch green onions, trimmed, cleaned and chopped
- 1/2 a large red bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 3 to 4 ounces vegan chorizo OR 1 (92 g) *spicy* vegan sausage, crumbled
- 3/4 cup grated vegan cheese of choice
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- 1/2 box (6 oz.) extra-firm SILKEN tofu OR medium-firm regular tofu, crumbled
- 1/4 cup chickpea flour
- 2 Tbs vegan parmesan
- 2 Tbs cornstarch or wheat starch, OR plain custard powder
- 1 Tbs nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 tsp chicken-style vegan bouillon powder or paste
- 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp salt (or, for an eggy flavor, use 1/8 tsp Black Salt/Kala Namak plus 1/4 to 3/8 tsp regular salt)
- 1/8 tsp. turmeric (you won’t need this if you use custard powder)
- Smoked paprika
Making the pastry crust:
- Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl. In a smaller bowl, whisk the milk with the lemon juice, and then with the oil. Quickly stir the liquid mixture into the dry ingredients and mix briefly, forming the pastry into a ball. If it’s too dry, add cold water just a few drops at a time until it holds together. Don’t over mix or the pastry will be tough.
- If made ahead of time, place dough in a plastic bag and refrigerate it until you’re ready to roll it out (several hours or even several days).
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Roll out the dough on floured baking parchment to fit a 9″ or 10″ tart or pie pan (roll out 12” in diameter), which has been greased with Cake Release (See Note). (If using a pie pan, just bring the pastry up to the inside top of the pan and flute it, to make a shallow shell– not over the edge, like an American pie.) Trim the top edge neatly and prick the bottom and sides all over with a fork.
- Bake 5 minutes. Remove from oven (leave oven on). Cool the pastry on a rack.
For the Filling:
- Grate the cooled, cooked potato and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over high heat. Sauté the green onions and bell pepper until wilted. Add the crumbled sausage and stir-fry for a couple of minutes. Scrape onto a small cookie sheet and place in freezer to cool quickly.
- Blend the Creamy Mixture ingredients until smooth in a blender.
- Mix the cooled sausage mixture with the grated potato.
- Spread the mixture evenly over the pre-baked,cooled pie crust, sprinkle with the nondairy cheese, and pour the Creamy Mixture over it evenly. Sprinkle the top with a bit of smoked paprika.
- Place the quiche in the oven and immediately reduce the heat to 400° F. Bake 35 minutes. Cool on a rack for about 30 minutes before serving.
- This will keep well, refrigerated, for a few days.
15.6g total fat; 0.0mg cholesterol; 624.5mg sodium; 448.6mg potassium; 36.3g carbohydrates; 5.2g fiber; 3.7g sugar; 31.1g net carbs; 13.8g protein;
This recipe calls for my homemade, palm oil-free, non-hydrogenated "Cake Release" (or professional baker's grease.) If you'd like to grease your pan with this, simply mix equal parts: aroma-free coconut oil , vegetable oil of your choice, and unbleached white flour OR gluten-free flour mix (which does not contain guar or xanthan gum). Beat the mixture together using a stand mixer or immersion blender until fluffy. Coat your pan lightly with this using a pastry brush or a piece of paper towelling. Keep the Cake Release in a tightly- covered jar in the refrigerator.
EXPLORE MORE VEGAN RECIPES WITH THESE INGREDIENTS
Cheesy Recipes (Vegan)Nutritional Yeast / NoochPotato RecipesTofu