Say hello to the ultimate fusion food: these smoky shepherd's pie quesadillas. They're everything you love about shepherd's pie — sweet potato, vegetables, and warm spices with a smoky lentil hummus — grilled between two tortillas. Don't want tortillas? Make it as a sandwich!
Smoky Lentil Hummus Quesadilla [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Sweet Potato Filling:
- 2 cups peeled, sliced and steamed sweet potato
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 garlic cloves, roasted (optional)
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup non-dairy milk
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Melty vegan cheese (optional)
For the Smoky Lentil Hummus:
- 1 cup cooked brown lentils
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup whole strawberries, measured then diced
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- Big grinds of black pepper
- 1-2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Cumin, to taste
For the Rest:
- 2 cups steamed mixed vegetables
- 2 large tortilla wraps or toasted bread (gluten-free if desired)
- In a high-speed blender or food processor, blend your sweet potato spread ingredients until smooth, adding more or less spices to taste.
- Clean our your blender/food processor and blend all hummus ingredients together.
- Preheat the pan to medium heat with non-stick spray or a touch of coconut oil.
- Toast your tortilla wraps lightly on each side to just heat them up.
- Remove from pan onto plate whilst you assemble and heat up the next tortilla.
- Spread the sweet potato blend on one-half of the wrap, leaving a cm or so along the edges so it doesn’t spill out.
- Scoop half your vegetables onto the sweet potato spread and then smear some lentil hummus on the other half of the wrap.
- Fold in half and press down so the ends are covered, then place back onto your plan and fry for a few minutes a side until browned and slightly crispy.
- Slice and serve warm with tomato sauce, vegan mayonnaise, or a drizzle of tahini.