This is a very versatile recipe for smokey garden beans (or pinto) and is a perfect basic recipe for almost anything.
Smoky Garden Beans [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 cup dried pinto or garden beans
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 medium-sized red onion, diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon red cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime or lemon juice (optional)
- Soak the beans for at least 4 to 6 hours or overnight.
- Turn on the saute mode and add in the oil with onion and the garlic and saute for about 3 minutes.
- Add in the tomato, salt, cumin and smoked paprika and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add in the soaked beans with the oregano and 2 and 1/2 cups of water.
- Turn off the saute mode. Cover and cook set on 17 minutes.
- Do a natural release or let it rest for 10 minutes and release the pressure.
- Add the lemon juice and serve as needed with rice or tortillas
- Beans - All