In this recipe, split peas and potatoes are cooked in a savory broth, then served with crunchy homemade croutons and smoky coconut bacon. This soup is filling, stick-to-your-ribs, chock full of protein, fiber, and full of flavor. What could be better than throwing a bunch of ingredients into one pot and returning to a perfectly cooked soup?
Slow-Cooked Split Pea Soup With Homemade Croutons and Coconut Bacon [Vegan]
This Recipe is :
For the Soup:
- 2 teaspoons of olive or coconut oil
- 1 small potato or sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 1 very small yellow onion chopped or half a medium onion (about 1/4 cup)
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup of dry split peas, rinsed and picked over
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon Celtic or Himalayan sea salt
- 3 cups of vegetable broth
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Coconut bacon
For the Croutons:
- 1-2 slices of lightly toasted bread (gluten-free or whole grain)
- Olive oil
- A few dashes of garlic powder
- A few dashes of salt
To Make the Soup:
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a skillet. Add the carrot, onion, potato, and cook for about 3 minutes.
- Transfer the vegetables to a small slow cooker and add stock and spices. Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours. If possible, stir once or twice during the process. Taste and adjust salt or spices.
- Serve with coconut bacon and homemade croutons
To Make the Croutons:
- Brush the toasted bread with olive oil or oil of choice.
- Cut toasted bread into 1-inch squares and toss with seasonings. Heat a skillet over medium heat.
- Toast the squares in the skillet, stirring around to ensure even browning. Cook until lightly browned and crispy.
EXPLORE MORE VEGAN RECIPES WITH THESE INGREDIENTS