These delicious Skillet Rock Cakes were the result of a batter that was intended to be baked only to discover that the oven was broken. They can be enjoyed anytime of the day. We had them for an afternoon snack served with jam and vegan custard, then this morning I had the leftovers for breakfast. Waste not, want not!
Skillet Rock Cakes With Goji Berries [Vegan]
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1 tsp cornflour/cornstarch
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 Tbsp baking soda
- 1/3 cup soft brown sugar
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup vegan margarine
- 1/2 cup goji berries
- 2 flax eggs (mix 2 Tbsp ground flaxseed with 5 Tbsp water and let sit for 5 minutes)
- 1-3 Tbsp non dairy milk
- Sieve the flour, cornflour, baking powder, mixed spice, and nutmeg and sugar. Add the margarine and mix in with your fingers until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs, then stir in the good berries
- Stir in the flax eggs until a stiff batter forms. If the mixture is still very dry add up to 3 tablespoons of milk if needed. The batter should be a bit sticky but not at all runny.
- Heat your skillet on a low heat and add a bit of vegan margarine to grease. Take 2 tablespoons at a time of the batter, place in skillet and flatten the top slightly with wet fingers. Cook on a low heat for at least 6 minutes, until the top starts to dry out slightly and the rock cake starts to firm up and are golden brown on the bottom. Flip and cook the other side for another 6 minutes, maybe longer being careful not to burn the cakes
- The rock cake should now be golden and firm. Enjoy hot or cold with jams, custard, with vegan whipped creams or just plain as the come.
If you do happen to have a fully working oven, feel free to cook these traditionally. Either way they are delicious. Just heat the oven to 350 F and bake for about 12-15 minutes until golden.
- Goji Berry