The Sichuan region of China is renowned for its cuisine, especially their use of spicy hot pots. In this recipe, asparagus spears are drizzled with a Sichuan-style sauce containing cayenne pepper, red pepper flakes, ginger, and Worcestershire sauce. Enjoy them with a side of white rice and a tall glass of water!
Sichuan-Style Asparagus [Vegan]
- 12 asparagus spears
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoon ginger, grated
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 green chilis, chopped
- 2 teaspoons vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons sriracha chili sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne powder, or red chile powder
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon corn starch
- 2 tablespoons water
- Salt, to taste
- 1 1/2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Wash and chop the asparagus into thirds.
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan. Add onion, green chilis, ginger, and garlic cloves and sauté until it becomes translucent. Add salt while cooking, as this helps onions to cook faster.
- Add the asparagus and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Now add the soya sauce, Worcestershire sauce, ketchup, Sriracha, vinegar, cayenne powder, and red pepper flakes and cook for another minute.
- Dissolve cornstarch in water and add it to the dish. Continue to cook for another 2 minutes or until the sauce thickens.
- Serve hot.
EXPLORE MORE VEGAN RECIPES WITH THESE INGREDIENTS