In Denmark, Shrovetide marks the beginning of Lent and is celebrated, primarily by children, with Shrovetide buns. These fluffy, soft, and sweet buns are filled with a rich custard and topped with a sweet chocolate glace. The buns in this recipe are sweetened naturally, rather than with refined sugar. Bake these as part of your holiday celebration, or anytime you're craving a sweet, custard-filled pastry.
Shrovetide Buns: Danish Custard-Filled Buns For Easter [Vegan]
For the Buns:
- 1 tablespoon psyllium husks
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup lukewarm water, or almond milk for a richer taste
- .88 ounces fresh yeast or 2 tablespoons agave or maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups spelt flour
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, softened
- 1 1/2 cups white flour (can be substituted with spelt)
For the Custard:
- 1 cup almond milk
- 2 tablespoons corn or potato starch
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla powder or extract
- 2 tablespoons agave nectar
For the Glaze:
- 1 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 3-4 teaspoons boiling water
To Make the Dough:
- Start by making the dough: place the psyllium husks in the 1/4 cup cold water and leave it for 5 minutes. Dissolve the yeast in the warm water.
- Mix in salt, agave/maple, and the psyllium husks, and knead in the first 1 1/2 cup of the dough. Knead in the soft coconut oil before adding the rest of the flour. Leave to rise for 30 minutes.
- While the dough rises, make the custard.
To Make the Custard:
- Mix everything in a small saucepan and stir until the starch is completely dissolved. Heat up while stirring constantly.
- When it boils, whisk vigorously and boil for 5 minutes, until it thickens. Pour out on a plate and cool down in the fridge or in the freezer.
To Make the Buns:
- Roll the dough out into a big square on a floured surface. cut 20 4×5-inch squares out of it and place a dollop of custard on each square.
- Fold the buns by picking up the corners of the square and pinch them together. Pinch the sides together too. Place the bun with the corners down on a baking sheet with baking paper.
- Leave the buns to rise for another 30 minutes., while the oven heats to 390°F.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until golden brown and brown on the bottom), in the middle of the oven. Leave to cool slightly before adding on glaze.
To Make the Glaze:
- Make the glaze by mixing everything together very well. Add a bit of water at a time to make sure it doesn’t get too wet. Spread out on the buns and serve.
The buns can be frozen.
EXPLORE MORE VEGAN RECIPES WITH THESE INGREDIENTS