The shortbread in this recipe has the perfect amount of sweetness, the persimmon rose jam adds a subtle twist, and the crumb topping is the maestro conducting all the flavors in this wonderful symphony. For the grand finale, it's topped off with a dash of powdered rose. Enjoy these beauties with coffee, almond milk, or tea.
3-Layer Shortbread Bar With Persimmon Jam and a Crumble Topping [Vegan]
For the Crumble:
- 1 cup raw walnuts, coarsely ground
- 1/2 cup whole oats, ground
- 1/3 cup turbinado sugar
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon powdered cardamom
- 6 tablespoons vegan butter, salted
For the Shortbread:
- 1 cup vegan butter, room temperature
- 2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- A pinch of sea salt
For the Persimmon Jam:
- 3 1/2 cups persimmon, peeled and pureed
- 3 tablespoons sugar, or to taste
- 2 teaspoon fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon rose water
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder
- A pinch of salt
For the Rose Powder:
- 1/4 cup rose petals
To Make the Crumble:
- In a food processor, grind the walnuts to a fine crumb texture and pour into a large bowl. Add the oats to the processor and pulse until the texture is in between whole oat and flour texture then add to walnuts.
- Add the flour, sugar, coriander, and salt, then mix well. Add 1/4 pieces of butter and mix everything with your hands until it is a crumbly consistency.
- Put in the refrigerator while you make the shortbread so the butter can harden.
To Make the Shortbread:
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Make sure the butter is at room temperature. Cream butter, sugar, and pinch of salt in food processor or mixer until creamy then add flour and pulse until it’s mixed well.
- Pour out mixture into a 9×14-inch baking dish and press the dough evenly around. Poke holes all over with a fork to prevent bubbles. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until edges are golden.
To Make the Persimmon Jam:
- While the shortbread is baking start the jam.
- In a large saucepan, bring persimmon puree, sugar, and lemon juice to a boil on medium-high, then turn to medium heat for 10 minutes. Stir frequently.
- Lower heat and simmer for 15–25 minutes until persimmons are dissolved and reduced.
- In a small bowl, combine arrowroot powder, and rose water together.
- Add arrowroot/rosewater mix stirring continuously until well incorporated
- Remove from heat. Set aside
To Make the Rose Powder:
- If using whole dried roses, remove the petals, measure and grind in a coffee grinder until it becomes a fine powder.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Spread the jam evenly over the baked shortbread and then evenly sprinkle with the crumble, lightly press down and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until golden.
- Cool completely before cutting and removing from the pan. Sprinkle with rose powder.