Shirataki noodles are thin, gelatinous Japanese noodles that are made from yams. They take the place of traditional rice noodles in this pad thai recipe offering a unique texture to this spicy Thai dish.
Shirataki Pad Thai [Vegan]
This Recipe is :
- 6 7-ounce packages shirataki noodles
- 1/2 cup shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch green onions, green and whites separated; whites chopped and greens thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced
- 1-1/2 cup bean sprouts
- 3/4 cup soft tofu
- 2 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons peanuts, coarsely chopped
- Sriracha, to taste
- Lime wedges, for serving
For the Pad Thai Sauce:
- 1/4 cup wet tamarind
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cube mushroom bouillon
- 1/4 cup, plus 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons table sugar
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter
To Prepare the Noodles:
- Drain the noodles and rinse thoroughly with hot water. Boil noodles for one minute and drain. Place in a wok or large pan over high heat and dry fry until water is dissolved. Set aside.
To Make the Pad Thai Sauce:
- Soak the tamarind and bouillon in the boiling water for at least 15 minutes, mashing and whisking periodically. Strain through cheesecloth or force through a fine sieve, squeezing out as much liquid as possible. Discard the stems and seeds.
- Add soy sauce, sugars, and peanut butter to the tamarind mixture. Whisk until sugars are dissolved and set aside.
Stir-fry the Pad Thai:
- Place a wok or large pan over medium-high heat and spray with non-stick spray. Add shallots, the white parts of the green onions, and red pepper. Stir fry until shallots are tender, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add garlic, ginger, and bean sprouts and saute until fragrant, about another minute. Deglaze with a small amount of sauce if anything threatens to stick.
- Add tofu and noodles, stir to combine breaking tofu into small pieces.
- Add remaining sauce and green onions and stir to combine.
- Garnish with cilantro and peanuts. Serve with Sriracha and lime wedges.
EXPLORE MORE VEGAN RECIPES WITH THESE INGREDIENTS